7.01.2011

Friday - Squats. Workout #1 Cycle #3 | Hill Sprints #16

Squats are blowin' up! I was pretty sure today was going to be shitty since my legs felt like cold rubber throughout my warm ups. Anyway about three reps into my final set I knew I had something going, and when I hit 7 reps (the number I had in mind to hit before I got to the gym) I knew I could get 10.  I left some in the tank for next week as well.

Looking back at my week #1 numbers from the last two cycles I hit 310x6 in month 1 and 315x7 in month 2. This month I hit 325x10. Sweet. 

I limited my assistance work to some light sets of front and back squats: my legs were shaky and my back tightened up a good bit when I started to front squat. Instead of hurting myself anymore, I spent about 30 minutes stretching and foam rolling.

Edit: I ran 7 hill sprints this evening. Legs were wobbling by the end. 

Goals:

250x5
285x5
325x5

Lifted:

250x5
285x5
325x10
Video of final provided. This time the video is sideways; WTF, I am incompetent. 

4 comments:

  1. Hey man, nice blog. Wendler has put a link to this on his facebook page. My question to you is, you are doing 5/3/1, right?

    Ok so what assistance exercises are you doing?

    How many times a week do you do sprints/cardio? Which days?

    has this affected your recovery? Do you eat a lot?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey FrontSkwatter,

    My assistance work is as follows:
    Bench day: 5 sets of 15 reps of db bench and 5 sets of 10 reps of db rows.
    Overhead press day: 5 sets of 10 reps of chinups. 5 sets of 10 reps of weighted dips.
    Squat day: 5 sets of front squats, 5 sets of back squats, 10 reps each.
    Deadlift day: 5 sets of weighted pullups, 5 sets of abwork (I use the ab wheel at the moment).

    As for spritns, I do them 3 times a week. The rule for these is that you just never do them the day before a squat or deadlift day. I tend to do the sprints on the same days of my workouts(sometimes a few hours later) so I never run into that problem. I've not noticed any recovery issues from the sprints.

    And, finally, I just eat whenever I'm hungry, which tends to be pretty often. So yeah, I do eat a lot. The sprints and the workouts should increase your appetite a good bit anyway.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, thats a lot of sets and reps for assistance work.

    Ill be doing Texas method till i get back back my strength then I will be switching to 5/3/1..Looking forward to the sprints lol.

    Thanks for the help.

    Ill be starting a blog on this site too. So hopefully I can stick with it like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the assistance work is there for hypertrophy. I use pretty light weights, relatively speaking. Although, the assistance work does usually kicks my ass. Good idea on the blog, too, it helps you stay consistent, for sure.

    ReplyDelete