I think cycle 6 is starting to see my bench improve again, especially in comparison with Cycle 4 and 5 which had both good and 'less-than-good' bench performances. Today called for 230lbs for my final working set. I saw 230lbs in week 3 cycle 3 during which I got 7 reps. I also got 235x7 in week 3 cycle 4, so today I knew I wanted at least 8 reps to improve over those last sessions. Things went better than expected, and my first few reps felt really strong I ended with 9 reps: no lift off, no bad spots, and I didn't go to failure this time.
Assistance work was awesome.
- 100lb db rows for 5 sets of 10 reps. No grip problems, all super fast.
- 70lb db bench for 5 sets of 15 reps. Still difficult, but easier than last time.
Week 2 bench for 6 cycles has thus far been:
- Cycle 1: 210 x 8
- Cycle 2: 215 x 7
- Cycle 3: 220 x 8
- Cycle 4: 225 x 10
- Cycle 5: 225 x 10* assisted on last rep
- Cycle 6: 230 x 9
As you can see, it's not been totally linear progress (same can be said for my clean and jerks as well), but overall things have been improving. I feel like my power on the first few reps has improved tremendously, although this doesn't really show up in the numbers, but I hope it shows up when I go to do my one rep max in the future (it definitely shows up in the videos when I compared this set to week 3cycle 3's 230x7 -- tonight's set was completed in the same time and the first 5 reps were way faster) .
Goals for today:
Video of final set below: